Vremi 22 Pint 1,500 Square Foot Portable Dehumidifier for Medium Spaces, White
Honeywell Energy Star 30-Pint Dehumidifier with Washable Filter
Pure Enrichment PureDry Mini Dehumidifier
Frigidaire FAD504DWDE 50 Pint Capacity Dehumidifier (Refurbished)
Sunpentown SD-300ML 600 ml Modern Mini Dehumidifier
PureGuardian Small Space Dehumidifier
Pure Enrichment Replacement HEPA Filter
Mini Dehumidifier with UV & TiO2
Sunpentown SD-350TI Mini Dehumidifier with UV & TiO2
5 Benefits of Dehumidifiers
Did you know that allergy triggers thrive in humidity? If you live in an area with damp, humid weather, a dehumidifier might just become your new best friend. When it comes to your home, you want the best dehumidifiers to work hard to remove excess moisture from the air. This appliance is a good defense to keep mold and mildew at bay. With the simple push of a button, this small machine can create a more comfortable atmosphere in your home. There are several options available when it comes to dehumidifiers. The one you choose typically depends on the level of humidity, as well as the space in which you plan to use it. Whether you place it in your office space, basement or bedroom, here's how it helps.
1. Dehumidifiers Improve Air Quality
The last thing you want in your home is a damp and uncomfortable living environment. The quality of air in your home is not only measured in the number of toxins that you are potentially breathing in, but also by the humidity levels of the air itself. Although not all units are capable of purifying your air, they can add a number of health benefits. Dehumidifiers promote a healthy indoor environment by reducing the level of impure air. Some appliances are even combined with air purifiers to remove mold as a dehumidifier would, but also cleans the air as a purifier should. If you live in an especially tropical or muggy climate, the indoor quality will improve and stay cooler.
2. Dehumidifiers Prevent Condensation
Your home is in a constant battle against moisture. Paint can blister and the wallpaper will peel due to any form of condensation. In addition, wood is especially vulnerable in the humid air. While this can occur in any room of the house, this typically happens in bathrooms, laundry rooms, and kitchens where dampness is unavoidable. By running a whole-house dehumidifier while doing laundry, after a shower or while cooking, you will be able to prevent condensation.
3. Dehumidifiers Can Help Reduce Energy Costs
Air with a lot of moisture tends to feel much warmer than it actually is. As a result, people force their cooling equipment to work hard - leading to high utility bills. A dehumidifier works to remove moisture from the air. This means that your air conditioner likely won't have to work as hard to maintain a comfortable temperature. With less stress on your cooling appliances, you won't have to worry about using as much energy to keep your home cool.
4. Dehumidifiers Keep Insects & Pests Out
Small insects are drawn to damp locations. Pay attention to the rooms where you spot the most pest activity. You'll likely notice bugs in homes with high humidity levels, particularly in basements, crawl spaces, and bathrooms. Having a whole-house dehumidifier is an effective way to rid your home of pests and keep them away.
5. Dehumidifiers Eliminate Smells
When you walk into your home, you want it to smell fresh and clean. If you notice a moldy scent or rotting smell, you can use a dehumidifier to remove the moisture from the air. This prevents the odor from lingering around mildew hot spots and spreading the fungus around. Inhaling such mold spores can be dangerous. Therefore, it's important to rid it of the air as soon as possible.
Portable Dehumidifiers are typically smaller than other designs and are self-contained to allow for movement wherever they are needed. Because of this, they typically work best in small- to medium-sized rooms. See our chart on dehumidifier capacity to find the best humidifier for you.
Whole Home Dehumidifiers are usually larger but are not always self-contained. The size and weight of larger whole home dehumidifiers can limit their portability. However, larger models usually have the capacity to dehumidify multiple rooms. See our chart on dehumidifier capacity to find the best humidifier for you.
The capacity of a dehumidifier unit is measured in the amount of moisture extraced per 24 hours. (Usually in pints.) The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) recommends choosing a dehumidifier based on size and conditions as follows:
Source: Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers
Dehumidifier Features to Consider
- Auto Humidistat: this feature automatically turns the unit on and off to maintain a pre-selected humidity level and save energy by shutting off once that level is reached.
- Automatic Shutoff: Another feature to save you energy and give you peace of mind, auto shutoff turns the dehumidifier off when the tank is full. This is often a standard feature found on many dehumidifiers.
- Auto Reset: Automatically turns the unti back on after a power outage. This feature is especially handy when continually using a dehumidifier while away from home.
- Timers: A handy feature to allow you to set the dehumidifier to turn on and off at certain times of day, saving you time and energy costs.
- Remote Control: A dehumidifier with a remote allows you to adjust the setting from the couch or across the room for convenience.
- Internal Pump: A unit with an internal pump usually features a hose you can run out a window or to a sink drain so you can enjoy continuous use without worrying about emptying a full tank.
- Direct Drain: A connection that allows you to drain water through a hose into a floor-level drain so you can enjoy continuous use without emptying a tank
- Signal Light: This light indicates when the water tank is full.
- Washable Air Filter: An air filter helps to keep your air clean and free from dust and other impurities. Choosing a design with a washable and easily removable filter will make dehumidifier maintenance a breeze.
- Filter Indicator: This light signals when the filter needs to be changed.
- Multi-Speed Fan: This handy feature allows you to change the fan speed depending on the time of day, amount of moisture in the air, or the room you're using the unit in. Choosing a dehumidifier with a multi-speed fan also allows you to save energy and control noise.
- Energy Star Rated Designs: Choosing an Energy Star rated dehumidifier helps ensure an energy-efficient unit, saving you money.
- Auto Defrost: Automatically turns the unit off when frost begins to form on the coils. This feature helps to keep the unit from wasting energy when frost prevents proper operation.
- Casters: This feature is often standard on most portable units. Casters make it even easier to move your portable dehumidifier anywhere you want.
Other Heating & Cooling Essentials
Start your search for the perfect dehumidifier off right with our Dehumidifier Guide. Then, peruse our selection of heating and cooling items to ensure that your family is kept comfortable all day long - no matter the weather. With such a wide variety of heating and cooling products to choose from such as air purifiers, fans, and air conditioners, you can be sure you'll find the right option you need for your home. Explore humidifiers, fireplaces, heaters, and so much more at Kohl's!