Applesauce Cake Recipe
SERVES: 1 cake
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped, peeled apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Caramel Crème Frosting
Carmel Creme Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup minature marshmallows
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients in mixer bowl. Add applesauce, margarine, and eggs. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 1 minute. Stop and scrape bowl.
- Turn to Speed 4 and beat about 30 seconds. Turn to Stir Speed, add apple and walnuts, mixing just until blended.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 13×9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Frost with Caramel Crème Frosting, if desired.
- Heat oil in a 11?2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to 375°F. Drop tablespoonfuls of batter in oil, taking care not to crowd pan. Turn fritters once after bubbles form on top and continue frying until golden brown. Serve immediately with maple syrup; repeat with remaining batter.
Carmel Creme Frosting Directions
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add brown sugar and milk, stirring to blend. Heat to boiling. Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is smooth.
- Place powdered sugar in mixer bowl. Add brown sugar mixture and vanilla. Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to Stir Speed and mix about 30 seconds. Turn to Speed 4 and beat about 1 minute, or until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on cake while warm, frosting sets as it cools.