Angel Food Cake Recipe
COOK TIME: 35 min
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 12 to 15 egg whites)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix flour and 1/2 cup sugar in small bowl. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip to mixer. Gradually turn to Speed 6 and whip until egg whites are frothy, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla. Turn to Speed 8 and whip until whites are almost stiff but not dry, 2 to 2-1/2 minutes.
- Turn to Speed 2. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar and mix about 1 minute. Stop and scrape bowl. Remove bowl from mixer. Spoon flour/sugar mixture, 1/4 at a time, over egg whites. Fold in gently with spatula, just until blended.
- Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. With knife, gently cut through batter to break up large air bubbles. Bake at 375F until crust is golden brown and cracks are very dry, about 35 minutes.
- Immediately invert cake pan onto funnel or soft drink bottle. Cool completely. Remove from pan.