How to Measure Your Windows
There is no one standard size for windows, so it is important to measure yours accurately.Tips:
- Measure from the outside of the window frame.
- Use a metal tape measure. A cloth one can give inaccurate measurements.
- Use a level to guarantee an even measurement.
- Consider elements such as baseboard heating when choosing curtain length.
Single- or Double-Hung Window
- Measure the width. Add 2-5 inches to each side if you are mounting hardware beyond the frame.
- Measure the length of the window frame to the sill and add 2-3 inches to cover the sill effectively.
- Measure the length of the window to the floor.
Sliding Glass or French Doors
- Measure the width. Add 2-5 inches to each side if you are mounting hardware beyond the frame. This is recommended for sliding glass or French doors.
- Measure from desired hardware placement to the floor.