Print the Recipe
From Food Network Kitchens
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1¼ cups milk at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- 4 Macintosh or other small apples
- Warm maple syrup, as an accompaniment
Kitchen Tools: Shop all Food NetworkShop in store or kohls.com/foodnetwork for Kitchen Tools to Make this Recipe
- Reversible Grill/Griddle
- Small Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Wire Rack
- Baking Sheet
- Apple Corer or Melon Baller
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Rubber Spatula
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Whisk 1¾ cups flour, the sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. In small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk the eggs with the milk and vanilla extract. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. Whisk the butter into the milk mixture. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry mixture, and whisk just long enough to make a thick batter (if there are a couple lumps that's okay).
- Using a melon baller or an apple corer, peel and core the apples keeping them whole. Slice the apples crosswise to make ¼ inch rounds. Put some flour on a plate and dredge the apple slices until lightly coated, shaking off any excess flour.
- In the griddle over medium to medium-low heat, place 3 apple slices about 3 inches apart in the griddle. Cook without turning until browned, about 3 minutes. Ladle about 2 tablespoons of the batter over each apple ring. Cook, until bubbles break the surface of the pancakes, and the undersides are golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add a nut-sized bit of butter to the griddle, as needed, and flip the pancakes; cook until golden on the underside, about 1 minute more.
- Serve immediately or transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining apples and batter. Serve with warm maple syrup.
Makes about 20 four-inch pancakes.